FREQUEntly asked questions (FAQs)

Drink spiking FAQs and more information about StopTopps

If the answer to your drink spiking questions is not given, please contact us through the form below and we'll do our best to help you out.

StopTopps are versatile drink-protectors that have been designed to deter drink-spiking.

There's the choice of reusable plastic lids, suitable for most glasses commonly found in pubs and clubs, or we have single-use sticky-foil tops that suit cans, bottles and smaller glasses.

The plastic lids fit snugly over most commercial pub/club glasses and should deter any opportunistic spiker from slipping anything in your drink without your knowledge.

The foils are made from small (85mm)sheets of aluminium foil, through which you can insert a straw for easy drinking. The foils have glue on the underside so they stick securely on the top of a bottle or can. This makes it difficult for anything to be added to your drink without your knowledge.

Drink spiking is a hugely under-reported problem that affects people the world over. It's impossible to get exact statistics for drink-spiking. Most cases aren’t even reported to the police, but it is increasing year by year according to UK police forces.
The results, from a series of Freedom of Information requests, show a 108% increase since 2015 in the number of reports to police forces, which include both the words ‘drink’ and ‘spiking' or ‘lacing".

No, even though drink-spiking is an offence and can carry a ten year prison sentence, people don't usually report it unless there are further offences committed.

There are many reasons that people spike drinks. Often, it may be a friend thinking they are doing you a favour, or pranking you - not funny if you have to drive later. It may be  someone who wants have sex with you - possibly because they hope you are less likely to say no when you’re drunk, or maybe they want you so intoxicated you can’t even say no. It might be that they want to rob you, or it may be one of many other reasons.

The most common substance used is alcohol, and it's not always with a malicious motive... But that doesn't make it okay. 

You may have to drive later, or get drug/alcohol tested at work, or you may be on medication that doesn't mix with booze -there may be any number of other reasons. Primarily, we believe you have the right to know exactly what is in your glass. What you put in your body should be entirely up to you.

StopTopps are available to the general public free of charge at sponsored events.

We are raising awareness of drink spiking through educational promotions and social campaigns.  Our ambassadors will visit events or venues where they will distribute safety advice and branded StopTopps free to the general public.

Most definitely, our ambassadors/models will be giving advice on how best to avoid drink spiking and will also be distributing underwear with a condom - pocket promoting safe sex.

We are a Devon based company, so we intend to have the first few promotions in Devon, but we hope to put them on right across the UK in time.

Details of all up and coming promotions will be on our website at STOPTOPPS.COM along with photos from our previous events.

Not yet, but we are hoping to have them more widely available soon, and on sale to the general public in the future.

Not yet I’m afraid, but we do intend to make them available online, in the coming year.

We believe everyone has a right to know exactly what’s in their drink: there are no circumstances in which spiking is acceptable. Whether it’s an extra shot of alcohol or something more dangerous, it doesn’t matter: it's wrong.

Our approach combines education and awareness-raising, by hosting events with partners and encouraging people to be vigilant and proactive.

Not at all, often they are used to incapacitate someone who is to be robbed.

Yes, they can be very dangerous when combined with alcohol.

They may come in powder, tablet or liquid form, and don't usually have a noticeable taste or smell.

Most date rape drugs take effect within 30 minutes, and symptoms usually last for several hours.
But if you pass out, it'll be hard to know the full effect. You may still feel some of the symptoms of a date rape drug after a night's sleep.
Although your symptoms will depend on which substance has been used, they usually include some of the following:

    lowered inhibitions
    difficulty concentrating or speaking
    loss of balance and finding it hard to move
    visual problems, particularly blurred vision
    memory loss (amnesia) or "blackouts"
    feeling confused or disorientated, particularly after waking up (if you have been asleep)
    paranoia (a feeling of fear or distrust of others)
    hallucinations (seeing, hearing or touching things that aren't there) or having an "out of body" experience
    nausea and vomiting

According to  NHS.UK
The following steps may help prevent drink spiking:

    Never leave your drink unattended, and keep an eye on your friends' drinks.
    Don't accept a drink from someone you don't know.
    Consider sticking to bottled drinks and avoiding punch bowls or jugs of cocktails.
    Don't give out your address to someone you have just met.
    If you think your drink's been tampered with, don't drink it – tell a trusted friend or relative immediately.
    Before going out, let someone know where you're going and what time you expect to be home.
    Make plans for your journey home.
    Avoid taking expensive equipment with you or anything that could be a target for thieves.
    If you're travelling abroad, be aware of the local area and where you can find help.

Of course if you follow this advice and use StopTopps too, then you will be making it very difficult for a potential drink-spiker to target you.

If you start to feel strange or more drunk than you should be, get help immediately.

Immediately tell someone you trust. If you need urgent help, call 999. Be wary of accepting help from a stranger and don't leave with someone you don't know. If you feel unwell, someone you trust should take you to your nearest A&E department. Tell the medical staff that you think your drink's been spiked.

Arrange for a trusted friend or relative to take you home and stay with you until the drugs have fully left your system.

Report it to the police as soon as you can. They may ask you to provide blood and urine samples.

Most drugs leave the body within 72 hours of being taken (the date rape drug GHB leaves the body within 12 hours), so it's important to be tested as soon as possible.

If you're abroad, get help from a travel representative or local medical services, or ask a bar or hotel manager to call local police.

If you are physically assaulted or robbed at all you should report it to the police.

This is the advice of NHS.UK;

If you have been sexually assaulted, you should get medical attention as soon as possible.

You may need tests to determine whether you have any sexually transmitted infections (STIs), or whether you're pregnant.

You don't have to report an attack to the police immediately if you don't want to.

You can contact any of the following places for advice, treatment or referral to a specialist service (such as a forensic examination):

    a sexual assault referral centre
    a doctor or practice nurse at your GP surgery
    a voluntary organisation, such as Rape Crisis
    the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre national freephone helpline on 0808 802 9999 (12 to 2.30pm and 7 to 9.30pm every day of the year)
    a hospital A&E department
    a sexual health clinic
    a young people's service
    NHS 111

Any forensic evidence that's obtained during tests can be stored while you decide whether to report the attack to the police.

victim of spiking?